Historical Simulations The First World War and the Great Migration

The First World War A View of the Trenches
A gentleman of pure heart witnessed the great tragedy of 1914. I was having a fantastic dinner with a friend at a local but decent restaurant. Then the imperial carriage paraded in the street. There, I saw Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir apparent to the Austro-Hungarian throne, with his consort waving to the crowd. Suddenly, a man fired a couple of shots, instantly killing the archduke and his consort. The man was a Serbian nationalist, who apparently, was hired by the Serbian premier. Late at night, the Austrian-Hungarian Empire demanded territorial and financial concessions from Serbia.

After three days, the Russians mobilized. Germany also mobilized in support of Austria-Hungary. I, myself, was aware that war with Russia would bring Britain and France in support of Serbia. My fears came true when Germany invaded Belgium, a neutral country. Britain and France declared war on Germany. The world was at war. Being a member of Red Cross International, I volunteered to work in the Western Front.

After arriving at Sedan, France, I began to evaluate the conditions of soldiers (both German and French alike) in the trenches. Soldiers had a maximum sleep of 3 hours a day. Food was scarce as well as medicine and ammunition. On the 16th of June 1916, French artillery pounded the German lines. A massive allied offensive was launched against German defensive positions. The Germans repulsed the attack with massive artillery bombardments. At Ypres, the Germans launched a powerful strike of chemical bombs. The sight was terrifying. I saw soldiers blinded by the toxic gases soldiers cutting their arms out of pain and soldiers brushing in mud to breath. It was indeed a terrible sight. The trenches were a symbol of bloodbath, of shameless butchery, and disregard for international law. On November 1918, I was shocked when Germany surrendered to the Allies. The world then was at peace.

The Great Migration The Diaspora of a Race
It was 1900. America was exuberant. The country was experiencing economic prosperity the cities were booming and the government was recklessly spending funds for public works. I was having a wonderful lunch with a friend at a local but decent restaurant. Then, I saw a couple of Negroes buying rail tickets from a station. I stopped bade farewell to my friend to examine the incident. I asked one of the Negroes why he is buying a couple of rail tickets. He replied, we are going to Chicago to find our fortunes. Yes, fortune. In these cities, manufacturing centers were being built to satisfy the needs of a growing population.

I wondered whether or not the incident is exclusive only to that family. Evidently, it was not. Other Negroes were purchasing tickets at another station. I asked myself, is this a movement of a people How ridiculous It turned out that Detroit, Cincinnati, and Baltimore were the main destinations. Well, I said to myself, those are growing cities, why not work there Indeed, the Negro race was leaving the premises of the east to work in industrial centers of the west.

Then the Irish came to the station. I said to myself, of all the people. I was just informed that a ship carrying Irish immigrants came to New York. The ships name was Prince of Wales, a name which seemed strange because the Irish were known opponents of the British. Anyway, a majority of them did not prefer to stay in New York. They wanted to work in the west, where it seemed future was more bright and attractive. I said to myself, what could possibly work working in New York City I really did not know the answer but one thing is clear. Both the immigrants and the Negro race were buying their way out of the city to work in the west.

0 comments:

Post a Comment